SoHoo 26” Adult Step-Thru Electric Mountain Bike
7-Speed Shimano Drivetrain
Up to 20 mph and 35 miles range
Throttle and pedal assisst
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Hyper Bicycles Pedal Assist Men’s Cruiser Bike
7-Speed Shimano Grip Shifter
Up to 20 mph and 20 miles range
Perfect for commuting or weekned leisure
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Gotrax Emerge 26” Electric Bike
7-Speed Shimano Professional
Up to 24 mph and 15 miles range
Daily commute and mountain riding
CHECK LATEST PRICE
So you want a brand-new electric bike, but you don’t want to spend a lot of cash.
In fact, you want to keep it in the three-digits figure rather than the thousands that you could spend on this particular item.
Well, there are a number of options that fall into your price range, and just because you are spending less money needn’t then translate into you having an electric bike that is significantly inferior.
In fact, there are a number of electric bikes out there that will do a fantastic job, and they can do so without breaking the bank in the process.
But then don’t just take our word for it. Instead, these bikes are not only amazing at what they offer, but the fact that they can do so for less than $1000 is pretty darn impressive.
Best Overall: SoHoo 26” Adult Step-Thru Electric Mountain Bike
Our winner here is this electric mountain bike by the guys at SoHoo.
Coming in with a 26” frame, this step-thru bike makes it easy to mount and dismount, so no sense of struggling here.
- It has a powerful motor offering you a perfectly reasonable range that actually outstrips a lot of other bikes on the market.
- The fact they have sought to give you the most comfortable ride possible with shock absorbers included is a cool addition.
- You cannot fail to enjoy the classic appearance on this bike. It really does look like something from decades ago, but with modern technology included.
- It has a 7-speed Shimano drivetrain included, so that’s a brilliant piece of technology included in this bargain electric bike.
- They have thrown in lights and a horn for added safety and security, so no reason to worry about going out at night now.
- It’s only available in one color, which is cream. It may not be suitable for most, but if you like the classic look, then this won’t be too much of a problem.
- The paint work is easy to damage, so if you want things to continue to look brand new, then best treat it with care or the damage will show up straight away.
Runner Up: Jetson Bolt Folding Electric Scooter
So this is something just a little bit different here in that we have not only an electric bike that falls well within our price limits, but it’s also a folding electric bike as well.
This model has a full throttle attached, and it’s capable of getting you up to 16mph along with a range of 15 miles. Now, that’s not as fast or as far as other options, but it’s still going to be enough for some local riding, and the portability of this model is also an impressive feature.
Of course, as it can be folded and carried, then it’s cool to know the entire thing only weighs 40lbs. It also takes next to no time to fold up with handlebars that collapse with ease while the rest of the bike stays the same. If that sounds like it would be quite big, then just remember that this bike is already miniature in scale, so it’s not a problem.
So that is why we love this model, and it’s all to do with the fact it can be a perfect bike to zip around in the city or on a short commute to work.
- It has a lightweight aluminum frame, so carrying this bike around won’t be a problem for most people.
- Considering its diminutive size, you won’t have any problem getting on board and zipping around on this bike.
- It has a 36v battery with a 250w motor that is exceptionally quiet even when you are fully engaging that throttle.
- This bike is suitable for anyone over the age of 13 and all ability levels, so even if you are new to the concept of electric bike, then this will be perfect.
- It looks seriously cool, and then carrying it around is also pretty impressive.
- It’s quite restricted when it comes to suspension and giving you a smooth ride.
- The small wheels may be something that is off-putting for some people, but it is something that you can get used to.
Alternative #1: Hyper Bicycles Pedal Assist Men’s Cruiser Bike
- It comes with 7 gears, and that should make it easy to get around even reasonable inclines without running into too many problems.
- The fact it comes with front suspension forks does make the ride that bit smoother compared to other options on the market.
- This battery is only going to take some 4 hours to recharge, and that does mean you can be back out on the road in next to no time.
- Can easily be used for either the daily commute, which is helped by that short recharge time, or for a leisurely ride at the weekend.
- The LCD display is clear, easy to read, and it provides you with ample information to know exactly what’s going on with your electric bike at any given moment.
- At only 20 mile range, the emphasis has to be on a short leisurely ride or you will be reliant on your own pedal power if you go too far.
- It has no throttle, and that’s a bit unusual when it comes to an electric bike. However, it needn’t always be a bad thing.
Alternative #2: Gotrax Emerge 26” Electric Bike
First of all, this 26” electric bike by Gotrax has been designed to look more like a mountain bike than some of the other electric bikes out there on the market.
It certainly looks cool, and has quite a mean profile, and that’s impressive.
- It can give you up to 24 miles range with pedal assist. So if you are willing to put in some effort, then this bike is certainly good enough for a decent ride.
- It has 26” tires that are highly durable and capable of withstanding a lot of punishment. Once again, this then fits in with the idea of being able to take this electric bike into rougher terrain.
- The 3 different cruise speeds when on electric power does make this a smooth ride, and one you can then feel quite comfortable with. • The aluminum frame removes the idea that cheaper bikes are often made with inferior materials. This particular frame is lightweight and easy to move around.
- The suspension on the front forks is amazing. It acts like a bike that is far more expensive than it actually is.
- On full electric power, the range drops to 15 miles, so best keep that in mind if you plan on going for a longer ride. You may need to use your own power to get back home.
- It has a high step-thru frame, so if you have problems with flexibility and mounting or dismounting, then this could prove to be a slight problem.
Alterantive #3: Kent Bicycles Electric Pedal Assist
Finally, we have a model from Kent Bicycles, and the first thing to notice is it has more of a traditional bicycle look about its design.
It does have a low step-thru design to the frame, so getting on and off won’t be a problem for pretty much everyone.
- The motor supplies more than enough power to get you cycling along without too much effort on your part.
- The low slung frame does make this bicycle far more accessible to everyone as you should have no problems with getting on and off.
- The LED display makes it easy to choose your speed, so you always feel in control and capable of getting around without any problems.
- The battery is easy to remove, and it’s only going to take 5 hours for it to be charged and ready to go again.
- The bicycle covers all of the basics giving you an easy ride without worrying about technical stuff.
- This bicycle is only for people over 5’4”, so if you are shorter than this, then you are going to have a bit of a problem.
- It doesn’t really have any suspension to speak of, so best keep this on smooth roads or paths rather than thinking you might venture into rough terrain.
Buying the Best Electric Mountain Bike Under 1000
So the makes and models we have mentioned above all fall under that $1000 mark, but how do you know if you are buying the best electric mountain bike, or even the best electric bike for commuting under 1000?
Well, to make it easier for you to reach some sort of a conclusion, we have several key points that we think you should keep in mind.
- Even a bicycle under $1000 will still offer you more than 15 miles range as the batteries remain powerful enough to get you around.
- Most now come with lightweight frames, so carrying them around and loading them on and off vehicles won’t be a problem.
- Most come with some form of suspension on the front forks. However, also check if the seat comes with some additional support to add to your comfort when riding.
- Pay attention to the speed options. Once again, the majority of these bicycles will have several speed options available to you.
Choosing the Right Bicycle for Your Needs
So how do you choose the right bicycle for your own individual needs?
Well, first of all you may want to avoid something that says it offers a 500 watt electric bike under 1000. That would be rare, and it has a bit too much power for most people.
Instead, this is what you need to do to get the right bicycle for you.
- Check the size of the frame, and also pay attention to how easy it is to get on and off. A low step-thru frame can solve that issue.
- Check the size limitations of the model you are interested in. This does vary by a reasonable amount.
- Look at the range more than the speed. The speeds don’t change that much, but the range on electric power can vary a great deal.
- How portable is it? This often relates to the weight of the frame, so check what it’s made from to make life easier for yourself.
Aside from that, you just need to think about the key things when buying a normal bicycle. Aside from the power and battery aspect, there’s not too much of a difference apart from those things.
Best Electric Bike Under $1000 FAQs
You may have a number of questions in mind regarding your purchase of a new electric bike. Now, while we cannot guarantee we have covered them all, here are some of the more commonly asked questions that people want answered before parting with their cash.
How do I choose an electric bike?
The first thing you need to do is to become aware of your own individual needs and requirements. What is it about an electric bike that is drawing you to buying one? How much do you even understand about an electric bike?
Look at the size of the frame. Think about the range it can cover. Does it have suspension? Can it go off-road or do you need to stick to smooth tarmac? Also, how much does it cost to recharge the battery, and how long does that process take?
If you have bought a normal bike before, then the only difference when choosing an electric bike is to take the power aspect into consideration. Only then will you be capable of narrowing down the different options and allowing you to settle on the best electric bike under $1000.
How much is the cheapest electric bike?
This is where things can become something of a surprise in that you can get an electric bike for well under 1000. In fact, shop around and you can get one closer to the 500 mark.
Now, even with one at that price, you should be able to get a bike that is capable of holding a charge for a reasonable number of cycling miles. Also, don’t fall into that idea of a lower price meaning a poorer quality bicycle, that’s not always the case.
In fact, the models we have looked at are all capable of making you realize that you don’t need to spend a lot of money on an electric bike to get something that is pretty darn brilliant.
As we have said before, just pay attention to your needs and look for the electric bike that comes closest to satisfying those needs even without you spending too much money.
How much should I spend on an electric bike?
This is going to be some sage advice, but focus more on your needs and finding a bike that fits those needs rather than setting a price. OK, in this instance we are talking about an electric bike under 1000, but think of it this way.
Would you rather spend 600 on a bike that kind of helps you out and does what you want it to do? Or, would you rather spend 700 on a bike that fits your needs perfectly and where it will give you that impetus to get out on your electric bike and use it?
When you think of it from that perspective, there’s no comparison.
Can you ride an ebike without the battery?
Yes you can ride an ebike without the battery, but then you are missing out on the power boost, as well as chance to recuperate that the battery would have otherwise provided.
It’s actually best if you can do some riding on your own when the road is flat and won’t stress you out. It means you can get a bit of a better range with your ebike as a result.
So, What’s Our Conclusion?
Finding the best electric bike under 1000 dollars is actually pretty easy. The five models we have mentioned above certainly shows how you can get some stunning electric bikes without breaking the bank.
As with any electric bike, you need to weigh up your own individual needs and requirements before handing over any money. Make life easier for yourself by going over the points we have listed earlier to help you in making your final decision.
Just because you are spending under $1000 shouldn’t mean you sacrifice quality. The best electric bike under $1000 will still help you to commute to work, have a nice leisurely ride, and just generally enjoy being out on your bicycle once again.