Bulls Iconic EVO TR 1 Speed
Gen 4 Bosch Performance Motor
Bosch Powertube 625Wh battery
Up to 28 MPH
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Specialized Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon
Specialized SL 1.1 lightweight motor
Specialized 320Wh battery
Up to 20 MPH
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Pedego Ridge Rider
Powerful and quiet 500 watts motor
Up to 28 MPH
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Believe it or not, electric mountain bikes are here to stay. Sooner or later, you may need to get one, and we promise you, you wouldn’t regret it.
While some people don’t regard electric-assist bikes as real bikes, believing it somehow robs you of the real biking experience, the truth is it improves it.
Since an electric mountain bike enhances your pedaling power, you are more likely to enjoy riding an e-MTB than a regular bike, as you can ride for longer without wearing out.
The main feature of an electric mountain bike is an integrated motor that assists you when pedaling. It is still a bicycle, which means its assistance is only to a specific speed limit.
There are still debates about which is best for your body, a regular bike or an e-MTB. To be honest, it’s an unnecessary debate. That’s because an e-MTB has all the features of a regular bike and more. You lose nothing by getting an electric mountain bike; you stand to only gain! It saves time and is excellent for your body.
Of course, it’s more expensive than a normal bike. That’s because it offers more than a regular bike, and we’re here to take the stress off you as we review the best electric mountain bikes your money can buy.
With E-bikes sales projected to grow from 3.7 million in 2019 to 17 million in 2030, the e-bike market is destined for a steep rise, and like electric bikes, they are ready to pedal uphill without problems.
Not just for its ability to let you commute more efficiently, you will enjoy a better riding experience by trying out one of the best budget electric mountain bikes we’re recommending for you.
So, come with us for a ride into what we believe are some of the best e-bikes suited for you!
Best overall: Bulls Iconic EVO TR 1 Speed
The Bulls ICONIC EVO TR 1 SPEED stands out for three reasons: power, speed and comfort. It easily stands head and shoulders above the rest for what it offers.
The ICONIC EVO TR 1 SPEED offers not just the rugged durability mountain bikes are known for; it is also built to withstand all kinds of surfaces.
Fitted with a powerful Bosch Performance Speed (Gen 4) motor and the new Bosch Powertube 625 w battery, you are assured of reliable support on any kind of terrain with its full suspension system.
The Bulls ICONIC EVO TR 1 SPEED offers the best speed an e-MTB can offer, providing motor assist for up to 28 MPH while making your riding experience more pleasurable.
Some other features of the TR 1 SPEED include the availability of four different riding modes; a Bosch Purion onboard display allows you to view all the necessary information you need, all with a touch of a button. It also comes with an integrated charging port and powerful head and tail lights.
- The Bulls ICONIC EVO TR 1 SPEED provides motor assist for up to 28 MPH. For a class 3 e-bike, that is really fast! But it is not just speed that it offers, but durability. With its strong frame, the TR 1 is built to withstand all kinds of terrains. More importantly, it ensures long-lasting power for long, daring rides with its large 625Wh battery.
- One great feature of this bike is that it fully incorporates its major parts into the bike for greater protection and durability. The battery, for example, is fully sealed into the bike, making it part of one compact unit. Yet, it can be easily removed when necessary.
- Apart from being fitted with durable accessories like a kickstand, mudguards, lights, and carrier, the Bulls team also outfit bikes with additional accessories to the riders taste.
- So, you are assured of not just quality after-sales services; you can also have your e-MTB custom-designed to your preference.
- The major drawback has to be its weight. Weighing about 61 Ibs, the ICONIC EVO TR 1 SPEED is a bit heavy and maybe a bit problematic loading it. The weight is mainly down to its 7005 aluminium alloy frame, which is a perfect choice for durability.
- Some have had issues with the rubber pedals, but thankfully, that can be easily rectified by changing them to meet specific requirements.
So, do we recommend you buying the Bulls ICONIC EVO TR 1 SPEED?
Of course, we do. We highly recommend this product not just for its apparent strength and power, but because of its design. So much has gone into making this e-MTB durable and long-lasting.
Runner Up: Specialized Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon
When you need that extra power to get you across the finish line, while not wanting the huge weight and size that comes with it, we have just what you need—the Turbo Level SL Expert Carbon.
When you also want an e-MTB that can easily tune in to your riding preference without interference, the SL Expert Carbon is your choice.
The Specialized Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon is produced to face rugged challenges headlong. Its technical prowess, for its weight, is surely something that would excite you.
Fitted with a DPS shock and Fox Float 36 fork, along with a full carbon frame, this rugged e-bike provides 150mm of suspension at the front and rear. It not only has your back along the steep ascent, but it also remains solid while descending as well.
Like all well-built electric bikes, Levo SL Expert Carbon is enhanced with a Specialized SL 1.1, custom lightweight motor, enhancing your pedal with just enough power to keep you going for as long as you need, backed up by the Specialized SL1-320, fully integrated, 320Wh battery, which gives great efficiency and mileage per charge.
The SL Expert Carbon is designed to feel more like your regular bike, something that easily suits you.
Some other features include its Mission control app, which allows you to interact better with your bike. It allows you to tune your riding to your preference. You can also monitor your battery usage.
- The Turbo Levo SL is lightweight, so you have a bike that’s just convenient. But that does not in any way affect its power and durability.
- Its battery is very durable as well, and you even have the option of a range extender, which can boost your range by another 50 per cent.
- To manage your battery, the Mission Control App aids in battery management, helping you to maximize your riding experience.
- The Specialized Mission Control App also curates your riding experience, and you can tune your bike to your preference.
- Due to its specifications, this bike may not have the efficiency to go as long or as hard as other e-MTBs. Also, the rider does more work for the same output as other e-bikes.
- Because the motor tops out at 240W, you will have to work harder when the trail gets steep, but on a plain terrain, this is adequate. The battery, however, delivers adequately for its size.
The Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon is a great option if you’re not trying to compete with higher power e-bikes.
It doubles your pedaling power on normal terrains and is not as expensive as higher-powered electric mountain bikes. It should be a great bargain.
Alternative: Pedego Ridge Rider
Pedego, one of the largest electric mountain bike companies in the US, produces only electric bikes.
It prides the Ridge Rider as its most innovative product.
The real value of an electric mountain bike is its ability to withstand the pressure of rugged ascent with minimal stress to the rider.
One bike that ticks this box perfectly is the Ridge Rider. Behind this solid performance is the extremely quiet, 500-watt motor that delivers the best pedaling experience, acceleration and hill-climbing.
Built to make riding a more enjoyable experience, its inbuilt 48-volt battery weighs very little and provides long-lasting power.
Fitted with powerful 27.5″ wheels with improved stability, the Ridge Rider is certainly a favourite of the daring and bold.
- Padego is well known for its efficiency. In the ridge rider, they incorporated all the features of the brand.
- One striking feature of this bike is that it doesn’t say no to any challenge. The ridge rider accelerates with minimal stress for any kind of terrain while also being extremely efficient in climbing the steepest hills.
- If you’re not ready for great adventures, this bike is not for you. It’s rugged, firm, and has all its parts neatly incorporated into its system. The wheels are also well adapted to its functions, rugged and solid. The Padego Ridge Rider is reputed as one of the strongest electric mountain bikes around.
- The Padego Ridge Rider weighs slightly higher than normal for its range. Weighing about 60 Ibs is one drawback for those who desire the power but not the size. For the efficiency it offers, the size is still seen as normal.
The Padego Ridge Rider is often referred to as the Tesla of electric mountain bikes. That’s one good reason to get one. We recommend you get one for the service it renders.
Alternative: Riese & Muller Delite GT Touring HS
The Riese & Muller Delite is ready for any kind of challenge at any time.
It is built for the neighborhood commute and uphill adventures.
Riding the steepest hills or cruising to see a friend, the Riese & Muller Delite GT Touring HS is backed by a powerful Bosch Performance Line Speed (Gen 4) motor and a solid 1,12 5 Wh rechargeable battery as well as a computer on board, which keeps you going and going without wearing out.
Riese & Muller is known for safety and dynamism, and that’s what the GT Touring HS offers. With a full suspension control, it ensures great traction even when at top speed. The Magura disc brakes with an optional ABS help bring you to a halt if you have an emergency need to bring your bike to a stop.
This bike combines three main features: power, comfort and state-of-the-art technology. This means once you get on your bike, regardless of the terrain or distance, your Delite GT Touring HS only stops when you stop.
- The Riese & Muller Delite GT Touring HS features the most powerful electric bike Bosch motor yet. With the ability to produce a torque of up to 75 nm, the motor offers great pedal assistance for up to 28 MPH. It is believed to be the highest power produced by an e-bike of its range for its weight.
- This bike also fully integrates state of the art technology, with its display system displaying key riding data as you move. It doesn’t stop there. It also allows your smartphone to be turned into a display system that communicates with you. Using buttons on the handlebar, your phone’s features useful to your journey are incorporated into the display. It doesn’t just take from your phone; it gives too. Your phone is automatically charged as it connects with your GT Touring HS.
- If you love to have a little luggage with you, you’re also covered. There’s space for up to 5 kg of luggage on the front luggage carrier. Don’t worry about your luggage falling off as you ride over bumps; the carrier is well fitted to the frame.
- Some riders may find it too rugged for regular commutes.
We highly recommend this bike for its beautiful combination of strength and technology. You will never be bored riding long and difficult terrains, especially if you are an adventure lover.
Alternative: Orbea Wild FS H25
It’s called wild for a reason.
The Orbea Wild FS H25 is always roaring to go.
Terrains are neither hard nor smooth. Terrains are just territories to be conquered for this rugged mountain bike. If you think you’ve seen the limit of adventurous rides, it’s because you haven’t taken the FS H25 challenge.
Relying on the BOSCH Performance CX Cruise (20mph) BDU480CX motor, pushing out 85 Nm of maximum torque, and powered by a BOSCH Powertube 625Wh Horizontal US BBP295 battery, you are certainly not ready for what the Wild FS H25 has to offer.
With its 20 MPH electric pedal assist, the Wild FS H25 is ready for any kind of height or depth.
It has a little lightweight alloy frame, which is just strong enough for the toughest challenges.
- It has an alloy frame that makes it ideal for great performance. The Orbea Wild FS H25 also has room for another battery, which can be added for an additional 500Wh. This provides for an extending running time. The bike also has certain components that are upgradable.
- There are some issues with the speed affecting a gear change under pressure. It sometimes has problems moving from one gear to another, a problem that has been noticed even on smoother surfaces.
The Orbea Wild FS H25 is a bike built for tough challenges. Slight issues with speed only occur at the toughest terrains. We recommend this bike as well.
Electric Mountain Bike FAQ
Can electric bikes go up steep hills?
The simple answer to this is yes. In fact, this is one of the major advantages of the e-bike over a regular bike.
Riding on a steep hill with a bike would wear you out easily. An e-MTB takes a huge chunk of the energy off you. But you need to remember that this doesn’t eliminate pedaling; it only makes it easier. However, as you ride easily along the steep hills, this would naturally reduce your speed.
How do I choose an electric mountain bike?
The interesting thing about an e-MTB is its variety of specifications. Before you choose, you should be able to answer questions like “what do I need an electric bike for?” and how often would I be riding my e-bike?”.
An electric bike with greater power would cost more than one with lesser power. If you don’t need tough adventures and only require a bike to commute more easily, you shouldn’t go for the very expensive, powerful ones.
What do I need to know before buying an electric bike?
First, you need to know the differences between an electric bike and a regular bike. The main differences are such features as the battery, motor and range.
The electric bike offers assistance when you pedal for up to a certain speed, but it doesn’t replace pedaling. An electric bike is more costly than a regular bike. It also requires more maintenance than regular bikes.
However, an electric bike makes riding easier, especially on tough terrains, and can better conserve your energy.
How long do e-mountain bikes last?
Regular bikes last longer if well maintained. It’s the same for e-mountain bikes.
If you maintain them well, they can serve you well for up to ten years. One of the things you should remember is that your e-bike comes with components that you should prevent from the rain. Regardless of the kind it comes with, you will need to eventually change the battery to keep it functioning at optimal capacity.
Electric Mountain Bikes are great for you. They are great for your body as well.
If you’re yet to make up your mind on getting one, we hope you’ve been convinced, and you can choose from one of the five great bikes we have reviewed.
For a riding experience that will excite you beyond your wildest dreams, across any kind of terrain, grab the handles of an electric mountain bike, and ride into excitements you never knew existed!