Ecotric Fat Tire Electric Folding Bike
500W Rear Hub Motor
Shimano External 7 Speed
Up to 23 miles per charge
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Samebike Folding Electric Bike
Front and rear double disc brakes
Up to 43 miles on a single charge
Quick folding design
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Generic Folding Electric Bike
Professional 7-Speed gears
Up to 40 miles on a single charge
Quick folding and easy storage
CHECK LATEST PRICE
The market for electric folding bikes has been growing steadily in tandem with the electric vehicle industry as a whole.
These bikes are appearing all over the place, and provide a truly awesome way to get around comfortably and efficiently, while minimizing the burden of transporting a normal bike or other bulky vehicle.
Companies are scrambling to develop and produce the best folding electric bike as the market continues to grow and consumer demand continues to increase. With the variety of electric folding bikes available on the market, consumers are finding it hard to determine which manufacturer and model is best for their needs.
Let’s dive into a bit of a deeper product review for each of our five folding electric bike candidates.
Best Overall: Ecotric Fat Tire Electric Folding Bike
This stylish folding e-Bike is the perfect present for an outdoor sport that will give you hours of great riding in the fresh air.
The seat is big and the seat post and handle bar stems can adjust to fit riders of just about any size.
- The Ecotric 20” fat tire folding electric bike is definitely one of the best options for an electric folding bike available on the market today.
- This model comes equipped with a multi-function LED display, shimano external 7 speed transmission and a twist throttle with commuter grips. The Ecotric electric bike has 20” fat tires that will grip rugged terrain and provide increased shock absorption for the rider.
- In terms of battery quality and engine power, this bike comes with a 36 Volt Lithium battery and a 500 Watt rear hub motor. This combination offers a very solid top speed of approximately 20 miles per hour, with a distance per charge of 20 to 23 miles.
- Finally, the relatively low unit weight of 51 pounds along with the folding capabilities make this model incredibly intuitive, lightweight and easy to transport/stow.
- Although the Ecotric folding electric bike offers a variety of great features, there are a few potential downsides that customers should be considering.
- This model has a maximum carrying capacity or maximum rider weight of approximately 200 pounds, which is the lowest in comparison to the other top electric bike models.
- This weight restriction will put a limit on the size of rider who can operate the Ecotric folding bike and as a result is something to consider as a potential customer.
Runner Up: Samebike Folding Electric Bike
Enjoy your journey with this folding E-bike even during a traffic jam.
Combining with 3 working modes, and long lasting battery on a single charge makes your e-bike commuting easier.
- The Samebike electric folding bicycle model is another great potential choice for customers looking to enjoy the luxuries of an ebike.
- This model comes with a number of great features and capabilities including an LED front light for night time riding and a double disc brake set up. One of the more unique features is the bike’s ability to run in pedal mode, fully electric mode, as well as moped mode.
- Equipped with a 350 Watt motor this ATV can hit a max speed of over 21 miles per hour and tackle gradients of up to 30 degrees.
- The 48 Volt lithium ion battery allows for a mileage range of up to 24.8 miles when operating purely on electric mode, and a mileage range of over 43 miles when operating on moped mode.
- Although the Samebike electric folding bicycle is loaded with some great features and capabilities, there are a few potential downside aspects that should be considered.
- This model comes equipped with 20 inch air filled tires that are very thin in comparison to the fat tire options on some of the other folding bikes.
- The smaller tires directly impact available surface area which will decrease their ability to grip and gain traction on all terrains. This should be considered when customers are looking to purchase a folding electric bike that can be used on rugged and uneven terrain (snow, sand, dirt, gravel etc..).
- Finally, the Samebike model has a recommended rider height range of 5 feet to 6.3 feet which will be an issue for smaller children and adults.
Alternative #1: Generic 20" Folding Electric Bike
This hybrid cruiser bike equipped Large capacity 36V 10.4Ah Removable Lithium-Ion battery ensures your all day’s ride.
Easy to fold, carry & store, and you can also use it as an exercise bike when you turn off the motor-assisted mode.
- The folding electric mountain bike manufactured by Generic is another great option for customers looking to get into the electric biking space. This model comes outfitted with a dual disc brake system (front and rear), LED headlight and an LCD display with cruise control capabilities and a backlight for night time riding.
- In terms of engine and power specifications, this electric folding bike is equipped with a 350 Watt brushless electric motor which can produce a top speed of 20 miles per hour (32 kilometres per hour).
- Equipped with a 350 Watt motor this ATV can hit a max speed of over 21 miles per hour and tackle gradients of up to 30 degrees.
- The motor provides state of the art overheat protection, and combined with the 36 Volt lithium ion battery can tackle slopes of up to 14 degrees. This low weight high load capacity model offers easy maneuverability and transportation, while allowing for up to 265 pounds of rider weight.
- The super lightweight magnesium alloy wheels make this bike even lighter. Finally, this model arrives 85 percent assembled and also comes with a service team ready on standby to help with any potential problems.
- Although this model of folding electric bike comes with a variety of great features, there are a few potential downfalls that should be considered by interested customers.
- Manufactured by AnyStore, this folding electric bike comes with 20 inch thin wheels which in comparison to the fat tire competitor models, will not provide the surface area traction and extra gripping capabilities.
- This is something for customers who are looking for an electric folding bike that they can take on uneven or rugged terrain. One final aspect that should be considered as a potential shortcoming is this electric bike model’s slope climbing limitations.
- The maximum slope this bike can handle as noted by the manufacturer is approximately 14 degrees, which is less than half that of the Samebike model competitor.
Alternative #2: Generic 26” Folding Electric Bike
This Electric bicycle is stylish and colorful, suitable for young people, and looks more dynamic.
Railway trails, gravel, city streets, trails. You are looking to expand your horizons with an electric bike so that you can ride further, faster, and explore more of the world around you.
- This model of folding electric bike comes equipped with a variety of awesome features that make it a great potential option for customers in the market.
- Equipped with dual disc brakes, a high brightness LED headlight and horn, as well as an aluminum alloy frame. This ebike model has been programmed with three working modes in order to offer a range of power assist options for riders.
- These three modes include fully electrical, assisted bicycle and normal bicycle. With the LED 3-speed smart meter capabilities, riders can seamlessly adjust the amount of electric assistance power produced by the motor according to their needs
- One of the more obvious perks to this particular electric bike model is the 26 inch magnesium alloy integrated wheels. These rims are outfitted with extra resistant anti-slip tires that are suitable for trails, streets, gravel and other mildly uneven terrain.
- The extra wheel circumference will help boost hill-climbing power, increase the bike’s potential distance range while using the battery as well as help with adapting to different terrain. The 21 speed professional transmission system will also contribute to this model’s high quality hill climbing ability.
- This electric folding bike model has a number of very important features and add-ons, however there are also a few shortcomings or potential issues that should be considered as well.
- Equipped with a modest 250 Watt stable motor and a 36 Volt lithium ion battery this ebike offers a 15 – 17 mile range per charge. This mile per charge range is significantly low in comparison to some of the other competitor models, which is an important consideration for potential buyers.
- Another important aspect to take into account when considering this model for your electric folding bike purchase are the size dimensions. With a length of 68.3 inches, a width of 25 and a height of almost 40 inches, this bike is significantly larger than most of the other options in its category.
- This will influence the bike’s relative ease of transport as well as a number of other accessibility aspects and should be taken into account before making a decision.
Alterantive #3: Vacoomcom Fat Tire Folding Electric Bike
Using the latest generation speed sensor, you get instant power assistance from the twist throttle on the handle bars and a comfortable trip in any environment.
This e-bike only takes 2-3 hours for a 100% full charge which offers an incredible range of up to 35km!
- The Vacoomcom fat tire model is another great potential option for buyers who are interested in purchasing an electric folding bike.
- Equipped with a 350 Watt 36V efficiency engineered brushless toothed motor that provides higher power levels with a lower power consumption ratio. This model has a top speed of 15.6 miles per hour and an electric power mileage range of 20 to 35 kilometres on a single charge.
- Dual disc brakes ensure safety through shorter braking distances, while the front LED headlight offers a safe night time riding option. Another one of the features that makes this model a great potential buy is the low overall weight of the bike which comes out to just under 42 pounds.
- This is among the lightest options for an electric folding bike currently on the market compared to product weights of 50 to 60 pounds or more from its competitors. This model will be easy to transport in virtually any situation, while allowing younger and less able people to carry and maneuver it with ease.
- The Vacoomcom electric folding bike has a number of appealing qualities but also comes with a few downfalls that interested buyers should consider.
- This model comes equipped with 12 inch tires, which compared to the other models we previously reviewed is substantially smaller.
- As a result the Vacoomcom bike will not be able to tackle rugged terrain as comfortably as a larger wheel model, and will also have more trouble climbing slopes without risking damage to the engine through over exertion.
- The small tire size also relates directly to this model’s potential mileage and battery life, which will be substantially reduced and affected by extra weight and steep slopes. If comfort and a smooth ride as well as speed and climbing ability are of high priority for you, this model may not be the best choice.
Best Folding Electric Bike FAQ
Are Folding Bikes Batteries Smaller?
The electric bike industry provides a market for a variety of different categories or niches, different models, different sizes and different capabilities. The folding electric bike sector is one that has not necessarily been the most popular among the industry as a whole, however interest has certainly been growing over recent years.
One of the most important parts of an electric bike engine setup is its battery. The size of each different model’s battery will have a direct effect on the engine power and torque capabilities. The normal size range for batteries in standard non-folding electric bikes is typically anywhere from 24 to 72 Volts. 36 Volts is generally considered the baseline size for the non-folding bikes, while some high powered models boast a 72 Volt battery and other more casual e-bikes come with a modest 24 Volt battery.
Taking a look at strictly the folding electric bikes and the range of battery sizes they come equipped with, there are a few things worth noting. We reviewed a number of the best folding e-bike models and have found that they share the same battery size range as standard non-folding electric bikes. The standard size is consistent at 36 Volts, while the typical battery size range in folding e-bikes is from 24 Volts to the quite rare 72 Volt model.
With this being said, we can conclude that folding e-bike batteries are not smaller than the standard non-folding style electric bike.
How Far Can a Folding Bike Go?
There are a number of factors that can potentially affect or contribute to the mileage range on a folding e-bike. Things like operating speed, rider weight, terrain conditions, drag/resistance and even tire choice can all have an effect on the range of an electric bike battery.
Another important factor is the presence or absence of a hand throttle. When an ebike has a hand throttle and the rider uses it extensively in lieu of assisted pedaling, this can drain the bike’s battery considerably fast.
So what are the approximate estimates in regards to the mileage range of the electric folding bike models? The most important thing to consider is the relative capacity and power of the battery itself. If we speak generally and assume the same conditions for each situation (rider weight, terrain etc..), the typical mileage range is anywhere from 15 to well over 40 miles on a single charge. The low end of the range is associated with operating on fully electric throttle mode, while the max range will be achieved using the assisted pedaling function.
Although there may be a few examples of folding bikes that have mileage capacities of well over fifty miles per charge, the 15 – 40 range is standard among the majority of available models.
Is It Hard to Ride a Folding Bike?
One of the main concerns for new customers looking to purchase an electric folding bike is how hard it is to ride one of these modified mountain bike looking contraptions. People want to know how relatively hard or easy it will be for the rider to adjust from a conventional style bike to a folding bike setup.
The answer may vary from rider to rider, but the consensus seems to be that the transition from conventional bike to folding bike is relatively easy. Other than the slight change in riding position and the decreased wheel size, there is not much else to adjust to.
However, there are many reports from customers highlighting the decrease in support and stability when transitioning from standard bike to a folding bike. This is something for potential buyers to keep in mind.
Are Folding Bikes Good for Going Uphill?
The question as to whether or not folding bikes are good for traveling uphill raises another important point of concern for people in the market for one of these. There are a few important aspects to look at in order to address this properly.
The most accurate answer is that it depends heavily on the gear set that your folding bike was built with, in particular the lower gears. One of the most important things to have when climbing hills on any bike is the availability of low gears on your bike. These lower gears are what allow for riders not to exert, strain and potentially injure themselves when taking on uphill climbs.
This means that folding bikes who’s transmission features low gears will prove to be much better at going uphill than other models without a low gear range. If you are looking to be able to breeze through uphill adventures on your folding bike, definitely find one that provides the lower gear options required to do so.
In conclusion, we have reviewed a number of the top rated models and have determined a candidate for the best folding electric bike.
Of the five models reviewed, there were three that come equipped with 20 inch wheels, which seems to be the gold standard for wheel size on folding bikes. The Vacoomcom folding bike was the only option with 12 inch wheels, which posed a number of potential issues including reduced comfortability and poor traction on uneven terrain.
The last of the 5 models we reviewed was the “Generic” electric folding bike that comes with a set of 26 inch wheels. These are significantly larger than the average folding bike and although they do come with some advantages, the sheer size of these wheels creates some issues. The increased weight as well as an increase in folded size as a result of the large tires makes this model more cumbersome and sacrifices some of the desirable ease of transport qualities that customers look for in a folding bike.
Finally, we take a look at the engine capacities and overall power of the five models in our review. Out of the group there are three folding bike models that come equipped with a 350 Watt engine which appears to be the typical standard power for folding bike engines. There is however the Ecotric 20 inch electric folding bike, that comes outfitted with a 500 Watt motor and produces a solid top speed of 20 miles per hour, and is definitely one of the more powerful models of the five we have reviewed.
Taking all of our analysis and specification breakdowns into account, we are able to come to the conclusion that the Ecotric 20 inch model is arguably the best folding electric bike available for customers. This ebike comes with some of the best features including the high traction 20 inch “fat” tires, the high power 500 Watt engine we mentioned previously, and a number of other awesome bells and whistles.
Of the five options we have studied and reviewed, the Ecotric e-bike model provides the most effective and well rounded set of features that will offer the highest possible quality experience for customers looking to purchase an electric folding bike.